Thursday, March 31, 2011

Objective...the new Subjective

These days, we need to be careful diving right into conversations about God and reality.


In this seemingly (and I say that genuinely, I truly believe that no one is a true relativist) relativistic society, people have changed the definitions of many words.

I found this out this morning when I met with a good friend of mine. We began a discussion on what it means to be a Christian, and ended with a debate on relativism

It took a while to realize it, but I ended up discovering that we were using the same words, yet assuming different meanings.  This can make one argue in circles forever.


What he defined as 'Objective' was what I defined as 'Subjective.'

Clearing up these types of confusions will allow me to make clearer points and hopefully be persuasive in my portrayal of the truth.

I plan on moving into the Objectivity of Morality with him next week. I don't think relativists can honestly continue in their beliefs when you bring morality in to the argument. Denying objective morality does not allow the relativist grounds for moral judgments. We'll see how that discussion goes!



Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-AirI have heard this book is very helpful in understanding Relativism and how to approach discussions. It's on my Wish-List! Is it in yours? What books/resources have you found helpful in challenging the Relativistic worldview?

No comments:

Post a Comment