Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions



The worst thing we could do is assume we are perfect (or even good enough) the way we are.  We should always be striving to be more like Christ - even though we will never fully complete this until our day of perfection at the end of this life.

"And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ? - Philippians 1:6

With that being said, if you are struggling to find a good resolution for this coming year (or for the rest of your life) a good place to look might be Jonathan Edwards' list of resolutions.  He is considered to be America's most important theologians and intellectuals.

Below I've listed a few of the 70 resolutions he made in his short lifetime:
  • Resolved, Never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.
  • Resolved, To live with all my might, while I do live.
  • Resolved, Never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.
  • Resolved, To act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings, as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God
  • Resolved, Never to do any thing out of revenge.   
  • Resolved, That I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
  • Resolved, To maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking.
  • Resolved, Never to do any thing, which if I should see in another, I should count a just occasion to despise him for, or to think any way the more meanly of him.
  • Resolved, Whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then, both carefully endeavour to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.
  • Resolved, Let there be something of benevolence in all that I speak.


Each of these are wise guidelines to live your life by.  That most of these were made when he was 20 years old is a great encouragement to me.  


I pray that I may live a life accurate to these resolutions.

Mallory and I have decided to join @TimmyBrister in memorizing Philippians by Easter Sunday 2011, starting January 1st.  For more details (and we'd love you to join in on this venture to store up God's word in our heart!!) check out his blog post here.

Blessings to you all and have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment